Friday, September 25, 2009

SPOTLIGHT: Marj at "The Icing on the Cake"

I am going to start randomly spotlighting people I come across who I find to be amazingly talented and creative! I'm excited to share my finds with you as they come, and I hope you will enjoy it and look forward to checking them out!


First and foremost, a lady that I admire for her AWESOME cake decorating skills: Marj Jenkins! I found her blog, The Icing on the Cake, a while back and was immediately taken with her work (let me just tell you, I search and look at TONS of cakes on a regular basis to get ideas, and not many strike me as her's did... many cakes you see seem to be ALL fondant-covered and decorated these days, which I do not care for. Accents with fondant, and sometimes covered in it are okay, but it gets old seeing fondant-covered cakes!)

Anyway, Miss Marj ices almost all of her cakes smooth in a layer of fresh buttercream- just wait till you see them all, they are SMOOTH! And then she does either intricate gumpaste/fondant decorations or pipes on them beautifully, OR both. After my realization of how much work and time goes into making a cake, I have come to appreciate any cake decorator. But Marj isn't just any cake decorator, she has got this DOWN!

Trust me, go see why I have spotlighted her... you have to look through her galleries, clicking on the pictures until they enlarge so you can check out the smoothness and detail of her work! (Look closely, her buttercream looks like it could be fondant, IT IS NOT!)

Pure talent.


One last thing that makes her great: She is so kind and will respond if you have any questions or comments. And she puts up new posts frequently! (Which is something I think we can all appreciate :)

Great job Marj! Thanks for letting me show off your wonderful work!!

3 comments:

Cat J B said...

I'm with you on not wanting everything covered in fondant, I much prefer eating icing/frosting rather than fondant, so that is what looks yummy to me. Off to check out her blog, thanks for sharing!

Marj Jenkins said...

Thank you for spotlighting me - I just now had a chance to see your post and I am SO flattered. (If you could see me, you'd be able to see that I am blushing!) I have met some really nice people out there in the cake world, and you are one of the nicest!!

Ashley Brooke said...

Aw Thanks Marj! I hope everyone gets the chance to come see all of your great stuff! I know they'll love it